The provincial clinical knowledge lead is a fundamental resource in the development of evidence informed / best practice standards of care to be utilized in Alberta Health Services (AHS) clinical information systems (CIS). The provincial clinical knowledge lead is a physician who works within the relevant discipline, and is a champion for / and can facilitate provincial knowledge topic development amongst their colleagues. This includes development of standardized order sets and care pathways with relevant performance indicators and a process to regularly update on an ongoing basis.
1) Reports to the Chief Medical Information Office (CMIO) and the relevant Connect Care Area Council
2) Represents the relevant discipline on provincial governance structures
3) Works with a Clinical Informatics Lead and a topic lead / order set author to intentionally design clinical knowledge into the CIS
This role is supported by two main groups: the Clinical Knowledge and Content Management (CKCM)
program in the CMIO. The roles and responsibilities are listed below:
• Provide leadership for their discipline for provincially based clinical knowledge development, uptake, evaluation and maintenance
• Become familiar with the many organizational initiatives (i.e. Strategic Clinical Network (SCN) Program, CIS Programs) that need clinical knowledge to be developed and relate this to identification of knowledge to develop
• Review existing discipline knowledge and work with discipline membership, relevant area council or specialty committee to identify and prioritize the development of new or updated knowledge topics
• Communicate with stakeholders / requestors related to the prioritization of topics
Evidence Based Methodology
• Utilize an Evidence Based Methodology (EBM) approach to support the working groups to develop clinical knowledge relevant to their discipline
• Identify order set authors or topic leads (subject matter experts) and working group members, and support them in the application of the EBM within the workgroup structure
• Liaise with other knowledge leads to coordinatemultidisciplinary topic/order set choices, such that common and pan departmental topics can be developed in parallel to support the integration into broader "clinical pathways"
• Address issues/challenges that may arise during knowledge development and work with stakeholders to resolve these issues
Champion for KnowledgeDevelopment
• Provincial clinical knowledge leads will liaison with or may serve as clinical informatics physicians and assist with the translation of clinical knowledge to clinical content with a goal to facilitate intentional configuration within the clinical information systems (CISs)
• Perform role of change sponsor and/or champion (supported by both the CKCM/SCNPrograms)
• Building coalitions with physicians, senior leadership, managers and clinicians across the province
• Independently, or with support of Scientific Directors and Assistant Scientific Directors, analyze and publish outcomes from the provincial application,measurement and targeted reporting of implementation of Evidence Based Practices in AHSRecruiter Contact:
Interested candidates should forward a Letter of Introduction and an up-to-date Curriculum Vitae NO LATER THAN Friday, March 8, 2019 to: Stacey Cross (CKCM) at firstname.lastname@example.org, 587-574-2657.