Job Description - Senior Data Manager (0000DGDS)
Senior Data Manager : 0000DGDS
Role Title: Senior Data Manager
Business: Risk Management
New or Existing Role? New
Grade: GCB4 Role Purpose
- The Senior Data Manager role is a key role within Compliance Chief Operating Office (Compliance COO). The role was created within the Compliance Chief Data Office (CD) to support execution of the Compliance Data Strategy for Regulatory Compliance and assist in putting data at the forefront of the Regulatory Compliance agenda. The role forms part of Compliance RC Data team and works closed with teams across Global RC. The role also works closely with Compliance leads for Data Governance, Data Quality and Data Management.
- This role will be involved in a number of areas to support the execution of the Compliance Data Strategy and they include :
- Data Quality & Improvement
- The role will work closely with RC to improve the Quality of Data and ensure the right metrics and reporting are in place and working closely with the business to remediate data.
- Data Simplification & Business Architecture
- Initial work undertaken on the business data architecture highlighted a number of gaps and this role will work closely with regional data governance leads to establish the necessary regional working groups for aligning the business data architecture with Compliance and closing any gaps.
- Policy & Governance
- Compliance with Data Management Policies is critical for Compliance and this role works closely with Compliance Data Management to ensure Compliance with Data Management Policies. Works with IT and Controls Office to review and where necessary implement data controls.
- Data Operations
- This role works closely with the offshore RC Data team on all aspects of data management.
- This role will be a Data SME for a number of Strategic Programmes operating within RC and across Compliance. Innovation is an important area for HSBC and Compliance and this role will support the Data Innovation agenda. Contribute towards data ethics agenda working alongside other areas of Compliance.
Impact on Business
- Supports the development and execution of the Compliance Data Strategy
- Data Quality
- Prepare material for RC Data Quality Working Groups
- Define DQ rules for monitoring RC Data
- Develop remediation plans with countries to resolve data quality issues.
- Support Root Cause Analysis for Data Quality issues
- Participate in effort to put in place effective controls for monitoring, measuring and reporting against data consumed by Regulatory Compliance
- Data Simplification & Business Data Architecture
- Continue the adoption and rollout of Reference Data across RC
- Support demand management and data Acquisition for Compliance Data Repository
- Support RC and Compliance programmes as Data SME
- Build an inventory of systems & data of interest to Regulatory Compliance
- Build “picture” of RC data interactions between systems and processes
- Support data needs of RC migration to Cloud
- Articulate opportunities for rationalizing the business data architecture
- Work closely with the Cloud team on delivery of Cloud to support RC data architecture
- Liaise with key areas of RC to push forward the business data architecture
- Data Operations
- Support analysis of data stored in Cloud and other key Data Repositories by Offshore Team
- Participate with innovation and evaluate technology solutions for improving the manual effort required by the business
- Work closely with the business and propose solutions for better decision making
- Identify opportunities to provide better insight into data across Regulatory Compliance
- Use machine learning and other techniques to improve the efficiency of Data Management
- Policy & Governance
- Participate in Working Groups to define definitions for business data
- Implementation of Group data policies to support Regulatory Compliance
- Preparing material for the Data Governance and Data Quality forums
Impact on the Business/Function
- Embed Compliance priorities and processes in Global Businesses and Functions to enhance client and transaction management and Compliance Management and Regulatory Compliance
- Present quality metrics for Compliance relevant data that can be used to improve data driven decision making and business performance
Customers / Stakeholders
- Establish business relationships across Compliance and Regulatory Compliance
- Establish strong relationships with Compliance CDO around Policy and Governance; Data Quality and Data Management
- Establish relationships with RC IT to fully understand the impact of Technology initiatives proposed
- Establish relationships with Compliance IT to fully understand the IT Compliance Data Strategy
- Establish relationships with RC Transformation to fully understand change initiatives proposed or supporting RC
- Coordinate discussion of data issues with Data Providers and Data Consumers
- Identify and escalate issues which will impact the effective
Leadership & Teamwork
- Communicate the importance of managing data as an asset and shape the direction of data management and policies to ensure that solutions improve Compliance
- Proactively initiates, develops, and maintains effective working relationships with CDO team members
- Demonstrates the ability to cooperate with a variety of people (across IT, Transformation and Business) to achieve results
- Willingness to take on additional tasks and/or duties as needed.
- Cultivate an environment that supports diversity and reflects the HSBC brand.
- Set an example for team members and directs when faced with adversity.
- The role requires interactions with a number of senior stakeholders and there will be a will need to influence the priorities of multiple teams to ensure projects and initiatives critical to success are executed to plan
- This role will not have any direct reports.
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- Embed the Operational Effectiveness Exercise for Data Governance (OEE DG) within the Region
- Drive a culture of data governance, management and quality across Compliance organisation and contribute to enhanced operational efficiency by incorporating use of best practices and methodologies into change management processes.
- Reduce ambiguity of data capture, resulting in improvements to consistent and standardised data.
- Demonstrate leadership on Regulatory & Compliance matters. Maintain awareness of operational risk and minimise the likelihood of it occurring including its identification, assessment, mitigation and control, loss identification and reporting in accordance with section B.1.2 of the Group Operations FIM.
- Maintain and observe HSBC internal control standards, implement and observe Group Compliance Policy, including the timely implementation of recommendations made by internal/external auditors and external regulators. Foster a compliance culture and implement Group Data Policy by managing Financial Crime risk in liaison with the Compliance management and teams in region and countries, ensuring adequate compliance resources are in place and training is provided, and optimising relations with regulators.
Knowledge & Experience / Qualifications
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree in business, related field or equivalent experience
- Banking experience with knowledge of Regulatory Compliance or Compliance
- Strong experience in Data Management initiatives
- Structured analytical problem solving skills, able to breakdown complex problems and find solutions and options
- Strong awareness of regulatory requirements for Financial Services industry
- Strong business and data analysis and problem solving skills are essential
- Well-developed influencing skills are essential
- Ability to build connections, promote ideas and work collaboratively across all levels of seniority and across boundaries
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Should be effective in guidance, leadership and stakeholder management
- Excellent Stakeholder engagement skills
- Organised and well structured
- Strong prioritisation and time management skills
- Strong research, analysis and report writing skills are essential
- Strong interpersonal skills and client oriented
- Self-motivated, focused, detailed oriented and able to work efficiently to deadlines are essential
- Ability to work with a degree of autonomy while also being able to work in a collaborative team environment
- High degree of personal integrity
- Exposure to complex data analysis and providing insight
- Advanced level ability expected in all MS Office tools (PowerPoint, Excel, Pivot Tables, Access, VBA) Strong knowledge in SQL.
- Technical: SQL and any of the following: SAS, Cognos, Oracle, Qlikview, Python
We are a diverse workforce and it is part of our organizational culture, it reflects our belief that diversity of thought, background and perspective make HSBC a stronger organization. We strive to implement a culture that is inclusive, diverse, positive and performance-oriented. Having a diverse workforce allows us to benefit from a variety of perspectives and strengthens our local and global competitiveness. We value diversity in our workforce and encourage all qualified candidates to apply from a variety of perspectives and strengthens our local and global competitiveness. We value diversity in our workforce and encourage all qualified candidates to apply.
As a business operating in markets all around the world, we believe diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why HSBC is committed to being an inclusive employer and encourages applications from all suitably qualified applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.
We want everyone to be able to fulfil their potential which is why we provide a range of flexible working arrangements and family friendly policies. https://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/popups/uk-privacy-statement#/overview
: Risk Management
: Europe-United Kingdom-Midlothian-Edinburgh
: Day JobType of Vacancy : Global vacancy
: 27-Aug-2019, 16:43:59
: 11-Sep-2019, 06:59:00