Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years,
backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take
on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning
and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We
have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to
spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career
path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the
best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
This position is responsible to support and work closely with the VP-Taxes, JAPA region for maximizing the profitability of American Express (“AXP”) entities operating in Japan and Korea, through effective tax advisories and planning, and support on audits of the tax authorities. It also ensures appropriate compliance with applicable tax laws through monitoring of new tax legislations, and management of tax process’ governance and efficiency. The position also supports the VP to provide needed coordination on other tax related processes, including tax accounting, transfer pricing & BEPS matters. The position’s responsibility may be required to extend to cover other countries of the JAPA region in optimizing tax resources to maximize tax efficiencies.
The position will be based in Tokyo.
Major responsibilities :- (a) To provide effective tax advice and planning ideas.
(b) Evaluate tax reduction opportunities or tax exposures and recommend changes/solutions.
(c) Support tax compliance team to recommend the most advantageous tax positions to be taken on tax returns.
(d) Ensure that the most advantageous positions are taken on audits by local tax authorities; negotiate with relevant authorities for optimal outcome.
(e) Analyze pending local tax legislation to ensure relevant cost/benefits are correctly assessed; develop and implement lobbying strategies.
(f) Assist in ensuring AXP’s compliance with tax laws by providing advice on requirements, and support final review of returns for technical accuracy.
(g) Structure and exercise effective governance and control of the markets’ tax processes to ensure AXP’s full and effective compliance with tax laws, Sarbanes-Oxley and similar requirements.
(h) Support to evaluate and initiative tax processes and systems improvement to optimize digital and process efficiency.
(i) Proactively articipate in business initiatives and other projects to drive for tax efficiency. Reach out to educate local management on the importance of legal entity relationships and planning to tax matters and favorable business results. Maintain a supportive and proactive relationship and partnership with business and support teams.
(j) Perform/support other tax tasks as required from time to time.
Critical challenges of this position :-
There are significant business operations in Japan (in particular) and Korea, and the other JAPA markets, and all of them have complex tax rules and difficult systems of tax administration. This position must deal with the Japan (primarily) & Korea markets in the context of a U.S. multi-national, and is also required to have basic working knowledge of US tax rules governing international operations, while -
• Maintaining strong and current technical skills and knowledge of various types of taxes and constant change in applicable rules.
• Maintaining strong and current business knowledge in light of robust changes in AXP’s activities and organizations.
• Maintaining supportive and proactive relationship with management, colleagues and external parties including tax authorities.
• Maintaining good planning and problem solving ability and decision making skills
• Adopting a digital mindset and striving for technology and automation solution in our tax processes for efficiency.
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful
completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.Qualifications
Experience, knowledge and skills :-
• College / university degree, graduate degree or certifications desirable, with 10+ years of experience in Japanese taxation. A Japan CPA, and preferably a Zeirishi (registered tax agent), with degree in tax or accountancy, or law preferred.
• Primarily have sound working knowledge of the Japan tax system and requirements.
• Knowledgeable about local and GAAP accounting rules.
• Familiar with Japan’s tax laws and related rules. Knowledge of tax laws of other Asian countries is an advantage .
• Must be highly analytical and able to creatively apply tax rules to business situations to achieve positive results, while assuring full compliance with applicable laws.
• Must have good partnership & negotiation skills.
• Must be a self-starter with solid leadership skills, and high integrity and ethics. Can work independently with high effectiveness.
• Must have strong Japanese as well as good English oral and written communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills to deal with a wide range of individuals (including government tax officials) and different cultures.