About American Express
American Express is a global services company that provides consumers and businesses with exceptional access to products, insights and experiences that enrich lives and build business success.
We make it easier, safer and more rewarding for consumers and businesses to purchase the things they need and for merchants to sell their goods and services through innovative payment, travel and expense management solutions.
Working at American Express
Experiences That Back You
What you choose to do for a living is one of the most meaningful decisions you can make. At American Express, our job is to help you excel at yours. We provide experiences to become a great leader, a world of opportunities to grow your career, and an inclusive culture to help you thrive. Because the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
Reasons to Believe
• An iconic global brand, where you can grow as a leader
• Meaningful and rewarding work that is performed with integrity
• A culture of learning in collaboration with great colleagues and leaders
• A unique career journey shaped by your talent and curiosity
• Support and trust to thrive in your career and life
This team is a part of International Controllership supporting Market Controllership teams for month & quarter close governance, compliance and process transformation through automation.
Purpose of the Role:
This position is a part of Operational Governance team and will be responsible to provide financial analytics and month/quarter close governance besides lead or support Project. The incumbent will support in developing and maintaining strong relationships with multiple stakeholders, and work with them to strengthen financial integrity and control environment.
Primary responsibilities include:
• Engage with market controllership teams, other stakeholders for various market/regional calls. Drive these calls for issue collation, tracking in SAIL and follow up for resolution to ensure seamless and timely month close.
• Closely work with market controllership teams and other stakeholders to prepare and consolidate the quarterly regional deck for Controllership and PwC
• Analyze various lines in legal entity financial statements
• Conduct financial analysis to identify the drivers of variances against plan & support the market Controllership teams to manage their operating expenses, perform variance analysis and timely identification of risk & opportunities.
• Preparation and coordination with various teams to ensure seamless, timely and accurate Annual financial plan covering OPEX, Staff count, Investments etc.
• Evaluate current processes, recommend process improvements and drive overall process efficiencies.
• Support strategic initiatives/projects
Critical Factors to Success:
• Effective management of Month and quarter close issues and calls.
• Qualitative and timely preparation and consolidation of quarter close deck
• Pro-actively develop meaningful business & data insights/trends into operating expense to enable controllers to take timely decisions support to our customer’s/business partners for more effective planning & forecasting activities at an enterprise level
• Support CBFA for effective planning and forecasting activities at controllership level
• Independent handling of queries and flag escalations timely
• CA/CPA/MBA with a 2 – 3 years or B.Com with 4-6 years of post-qualification experience with a strong accounting and reporting knowledge
• CA/CPA/MBA or B.Com with relevant experience
• Strong understanding of Financial statements and ability to analyze the financials for meaningful reporting, forecasting and planning
• Ability to challenge the status quo, problem solving and provide ideas to transform the processes with a view to automate
• Ability to collaborate within the team and across geographies to deliver in matrix structure.
• Flexible to work across multiple time zones
• Excellent written and verbal communication
• Ability to connect the dots and draw a big picture
• Reasonable knowledge of technical accounting guidelines will be an added advantage
• Reasonable knowledge of various financial systems
Knowledge of Platforms:
• Ability to use analytical tools for financial systems such as Oracle, OBIEE, Essbase, Hyperion Financial Reporting (HFR), etc.
• Advanced MS office suits such as Excel, Word, PowerPoint
Shift Timing: 8:30AM - 5PM (Candidate should be flexible)
Enterprise Leadership Behaviors
• Set The Agenda: Define What Winning Looks Like, Put Enterprise Thinking First, Lead with an External Perspective
• Bring Others With You: Build the Best Team, Seek & Provide Coaching Feedback, Make Collaboration Essential
• Do It The Right Way: Communicate Frequently, Candidly & Clearly, Make Decisions Quickly & Effectively, Live the Blue Box Values, Great Leadership Demands Courage