Why American Express?
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.Don’t make a difference without it.Don’t live life without it.
American Express is leading the way in advanced technologies to handle conversational AI and automation, powered by big data and machine learning. We are looking for highly technical and motivated Staff Engineers to drive best in class solutions architecture, elevate the skills and effectiveness of our engineering teams, and drive innovation across the portfolio.Working with some of the best engineers in their fields, you will collaborate across internal teams and external organizations to design and leading edge technology solutions.
- 50%-60% of your time spent on coding or hands on solution design and implementation.
- Work with Enterprise Architects to define solution requirements and technical implementation approach.
- Drive both high-level and detailed technical designs and conduct technical design reviews.
- Mentor and support senior engineers to continue to raise the engineering bar across the organization.
- Communicate solutions, approaches and architectural decisions to senior leaders, gaining consensus and support from other teams.
- Perform rapid POCs to experiment and set direction for the engineering teams.
- Responsible for the health and quality of code across the department, including leadership of testing automation and CI/CD tool integration.
- 10+ years of active engineering experience in complex environments.
- Successful track record deploying global enterprise-grade technology solutions in an Agile environment.
- Bachelor degree in computer science, computer science engineering, or related field required; advanced degree preferred.
- 5+ years of hands on experience with Java, Python, web and application frameworks such as Spring, Vert-X or Flask.
- Experience developing, debugging and designing microservice architectures with cloud provider agnostic technologies such as Kubernetes and Docker.
- Good understanding of Architectural Design patterns & Best practices
- Understanding of basics of Machine learning and algorithms is a plus.
- Proven experience debugging and resolving issues with systems components like network and storage.
- Strong communications, presentation skills, leadership, problem solving and analytical skills.
- Proven collaboration and influencing skills
- Hands-on experience in the some of the following technologies: gRPC, ProtoBuf, JSON, NoSQL (Couchbase, Cassandra) Redis, Consul, Jenkins, XL Release, OpenShift, Elastic Stack, OpenStack, Kafka.
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.