Overview of The Department
Commercial Rating and Underwriting (CRU) sits within the Risk and Information Management division and forms the institutional credit risk management function within American Express. The CRU team plays the critical role of assessing and managing the risk of institutional exposures across all business units within American Express, and in all regions globally. Credit exposures are primarily generated through corporate and small business card programs, via merchant service relationships where non-delivery risk exists, and among the securities portfolio held for firm-wide liquidity.
CRU JAPA is led from Singapore covering JAPA (Japan, Asia Pacific and Australia), with direct reporting line into Global Head of CRU in Salt Lake City, USA. In addition to determining the internal credit rating which drives the probability of default of each exposure, CRU also calculates the loss given default of these obligors while underwriting card programs. As a bank holding company, American Express must comply with the highest global banking standards set by Basel and implemented by the bank’s primarily regulatory, the Federal Reserve.
- Analyst in CRU are responsible for rating and underwriting credit exposures in their assigned region, industry, and business line. This role will cover the Japan market.
- Fundamental analysis incorporates a thorough review of business, financial, industry and country risk coupled with support from internal and external rating model outputs.
- Assessment includes understanding of the need for credit extension, profitability of the relationship and program structures. This position interact with various constituents across the firm including the Japan front office sales, business unit risk partners, and credit administration to perform their critical role.
- Expertise as a credit risk analyst, dealing with commercial exposures ranging from SME or middle-market to large, multinational institutions in Japan or with Japanese banks based in Singapore. Ability to read Japanese financial statement is a must.
- Experience in determining appropriate credit capacity, structuring of facilities, and risk mitigation techniques
- Thorough understanding of fundamental financial analysis including the ability to review corporate financial statements to determine the ability of the obligor to honor its credit obligations
- Comfort with GAAP/IFRS accounting standards, corporate valuation, and forecasting.
- Knowledge of public agency ratings, and supporting analysis
- Ability to understand current macroeconomic trends in Japan, and making respective sound recommendations to improve the Probability of Default based on the business cycle
- Experience preparing company-specific and industry-wide credit memorandums
- Excellent judgment in making sound rating and underwriting decisions to maximize profitability and mitigate risk
- Minimum 2 years experience in rating and / or underwriting at a leading financial institution, preferably with Japanese bank.
- Bachelor’s degree from a top tier university and a degree in finance, accounting, economics, or statistics
- Graduate degree with a finance or business emphasis, or Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation, is a plus
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations. American Express has been awarded Aon Hewitt Best Employer Singapore six times. Join us and you’ll soon see why. As an employee, you can expect challenging work, with purpose. Be more than just your job. Be the voice of inspiration and transform the way the world does business for a living. By joining American Express, you are choosing to become a part of the dynamic team that is recognized as Singapore's "Best Employer 2018". Why American Express? There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference. American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards. We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision. Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people. The powerful backing of American Express. Don’t make a difference without it. Don’t live life without it.