Job Description - Head of Operational Risk and Resilience Risk, ASP - Global Risk (0000EKWC)
Head of Operational Risk and Resilience Risk, ASP - Global Risk : 0000EKWC
The health and safety of our employees and candidates is very important to us. Due to the current situation related to the Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV), we’re leveraging our digital capabilities to ensure we can continue to recruit top talent at HSBC.
As your application progresses, you may be asked to use one of our digital tools to help you through your recruitment journey. If so, one of our Resourcing colleagues will explain how our video-interviewing technology will be used throughout the recruitment process and will be on hand to answer any questions you might have.
Some careers shine brighter than others
If you’re looking for a career that will help you stand out, join HSBC and fulfil your potential. Global Risk is a thriving and expert risk management function supporting HSBC globally with all aspects of risk management. The team actively manages a varied and dynamic range of risk types, including security, fraud, information security, contingency, geopolitical, operational, credit, pension, insurance, financial crime and regulatory compliance, market and reputation risks. All parts of the Global Risk team use their skills, insight and integrity to handle established threats and those they see emerging, acting to protect and enable HSBC to deliver sustainable growth.
We are currently seeking a high caliber professional to join our team as Head of Operational Risk and Resilience Risk, ASP.
Global Operational and Resilience Risk (ORR) is a sub function of Group Risk. Its purpose is to make sure HSBC understands, and is in control of its non-financial risk position as well as providing resilience risk stewardship to the Global Business and Functions and the entities in which HSBC operates. This is achieved through (but not limited to):
- Completing analytical assessments and opining on the control environment of the First Line of Defence (1LOD) within Businesses and Regions from both an Operational Risk and a Resilience Risk perspective
- Constructive challenge to APAC on its control environment and assessment of risk
- Oversight of emerging risks, strategic initiatives and local change activity and new/materially changed products
- Analysis of risk exposure across all operations and territories to inform capital management and stress testing requirements.
- Completing aggregated reporting of the Non-Financial Risk profile of the bank as it pertains to APAC
- Global Risk Stewardship for Technology inclusive of Cyber Risk and Data inclusive of Information Security Risk
- Responsibility for the implementation of a Risk Management Framework (RMF) that sets out governance, policies and practices to proactively identify, assess, measure and report on, mitigate and control operational risk exposures associated with HSBC's businesses and operations at all levels of the organisation.
The role holder is responsible for ensuring that APAC adheres to standards for the management of operational risk as set out in the Group's framework for Enterprise Risk and Operational Risk Management, and resilience risks are managed within appetite.
The role holder will be the primary point of accountability for effective management of ORR associated activities, within APAC. The activities within this are as follows: Functions/Businesses/CountryFunctions/Businesses/Country
- Active Risk Management in region based on Group defined approach.
◦ Functions/Businesses/Country ◦ Risk Types – as a local Risk Steward for all appropriate risk types.◦ Change related appropriate programs ◦ Aggregated reporting/analysis of environment for Risk Type.◦ Thematic analysis and read across for Risk Type.
- Oversight of 'Active Risk Management' in region based on Group defined approach.
◦ Functions/Businesses/Country – 'Risk Oversight' ◦ Risk Types – oversight of the risk stewards for all appropriate risk types.◦ Change related appropriate programs◦ Aggregated reporting/analysis of environment for Risk Type.◦ Thematic analysis and read across for Risk Type.
- People leadership/management in region.
- Capital, Stress testing and local behavioural investigations where it is required.
Key accountabilities include:
- Set Policy for Risk Type
- Define and propose Risk Appetite Statement for Risk Type.
- Set approach for 'Active Risk Management' to be executed within regions.
- Active risk management of Business/HOST/Functions global activity
- Set approach for Risk Type 'Oversight' to be executed within regions for Risk Type.
- Aggregated reporting/analysis of environment for Risk Type.
- Thematic analysis and read across for Risk Type.
- Contributes to the design of the Operational and Resilience Risk taxonomy and the operational framework
- Responsible for implementation of the Operational and Resilience Risk framework globally, and regular review of use and adoption of the Enterprise Risk management framework (ERMF) for Non Financial Risk (NFR) management. This includes Risk Strategy, Risk Appetite, Risk Taxonomy and Risk Control Library strategy and policy framework
- Responsible for the review of Resilience Risk and other NFR internal and external events, providing insight and learnings applicable to key Products and Services across APAC
- Responsible for the stewardship of Technology and Data Risk across HSBC
- Provides robust challenge and actionable, contextual guidance across all NFR risks within APAC both enabling business growth whilst maintaining related risks within appetite
- Implements and provides effective and oversight of RMF including policies, tools and methodologies for use by line management within APAC
- Monitors internal and external risk trends and ensures that mitigating strategies and policies are developed
- Ensures APAC regulatory and economic capital calculations in respect of Operational Risk can be supported
- Ensures that Non-Financial Risk appetite measures align to the Strategic Business Outlook.
- Influences and directs executive management within APAC to fulfil roles and responsibilities and manage non-financial risk and resilience risk according to the Group's frameworks and within stated appetite
- Represents Resilience Risk Stewardship to Executive Management and Board members globally for TPR as well as regionally for TPR and for the APAC region
- Builds and maintains relationships with external partners, Regulators, industry bodies and others to keep up to date with developments
- Delivers fair outcomes for our customers and ensure own conduct maintains the orderly and transparent operation of financial markets
- Effectively manages relationships with other Global and Regional Operational and Resilience Risk Heads and ensures the sharing of best practice and read across of risk events.
- Leads and role model aligning with the Bank's strategy, behaviours and values
- Leads the global Technology and Data risk steward team
- Challenges and influences to ensure effective management and quantification of risk exposure
- Partners with the rest of APAC to ensure a strong risk management culture and behaviours is effective and embedded
- Works effectively with Group and Regional Operational Risk and Resilience Risk teams
- Develops an effective team through communication, performance management, development plans and reward/recognition practices
- Promotes an environment that supports diversity and reflects the HSBC Brand.
- Supports the continuing development and transformation of the Operational and Resilience Risk operating model to ensure APAC operates effectively and efficiently and is able to deliver HSBC's strategic goals.
- Ensures key non-financial risk reports adhere to requirements of the risk framework and escalation routes operate for top and emerging non-financial risks thereby reaching appropriate Risk Management Meetings
- Directs ad-hoc project work and investigations to provide further analysis into process control failings and events as required
- Keeps abreast of industry and regulatory developments in non-financial risk management and continually assess the impact these might have on the firm
- Ensures Operational and Resilience Risk governance is managed effectively across the APAC
- Determines and monitors compliance with operational risk and resilience risk policies and ensures the Group operates within the risk appetite
Requirements Knowledge & Experience / Qualifications
- Expert level of business management knowledge and experience of working in a senior role
- Expert level of risk management knowledge and relevant experience in at least one of the underlying resilience risk disciplines
- Ability to communicate effectively, building strong relationships and influencing key senior internal and external stakeholders - by articulating compelling arguments, positions, strategy and vision
- Comprehensive knowledge of the external environment (risk, regulatory, geopolitical, competitor etc.)
- A change agent who challenges the status quo as a robust diplomat; cogently, constructively and positively, leading relevant strategies that enable safe growth of HSBC.
- A BA or BS University Degree, advanced degrees preferable, (e.g. MBA, MSc, PhD)
- Providing Expert Advice and Robust Challenge
- Delivering Risk Steward Policies
- Oversee, Review, and Challenge Risks and Controls
- Understanding and Applying Risk Management in Context
- Navigating: understand and translate strategy into own Function, aligning directions accordingly
- Aspiring: be ambitious about providing the highest standards of delivery and embedding the culture in the business
- Driving: set stretching goals for self and business delivering them with courage and tenacity
- Mobilising: authentically engage with team, colleagues and business partners to deliver at pace
- Sustaining: make considered decisions that protect and enhance HSBC values, reputation and business
You’ll achieve more when you join HSBC.
HSBC is committed to building a culture where all employees are valued, respected and opinions count. We take pride in providing a workplace that fosters continuous professional development, flexible working and opportunities to grow within an inclusive and diverse environment. Personal data held by the Bank relating to employment applications will be used in accordance with our Privacy Statement, which is available on our website.
: Risk and Compliance
: Asia Pacific-Hong Kong-Kowloon-Kowloon City
: Day JobType of Vacancy : Region vacancy
: 28-Oct-2020, 15:15:18
: 14-Nov-2020, 23:59:00